My primary interest is problem-solving. I like figuring out how things work (or don’t) then developing ways to streamline, consolidate, and improve.
Usually this is online, in the form of software of some sort, although integrating code into the physical world (and vice versa) presents a compelling challenge.
While I have my own familiar set of tools, I’m equally comfortable coding from scratch, as best serves the situation. I’m a quick study and I’m always interested in learning something new.
I coded in BASIC on the TRS-80.
I have over 15 years of web development and programming experience. I’ve written my own content management system from scratch, customized open source platforms like WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal, and built sites on MVC frameworks like CakePHP and CodeIgniter. I also have experience with most current ecommerce platforms (3DCart, Shopify, Paypal Pro, Volusion, X-Cart, Zen Cart).
I particularly enjoy the challenge of integrating the virtual with the actual, be that tracking components through a production chain via barcode scanners and RFID tags or plotting locations on a Google Map for GPS-guided real-world installation.
I currently have several iOS apps in development and I’m teaching myself Ruby / Rails, Swift and Objective-C (still trying to decide between them), Python, and MongoDB / NoSQL.
- CMS: WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, custom
- eCommerce: 3DCart, Shopify, Paypal Pro, Volusion, X-Cart, Zen Cart
- MVC frameworks: CakePHP, CodeIgniter
- Version control: Subversion, Git
- Learning: Objective-C, Swift, Ruby / Rails, Python, MongoDB / NoSQL
- Fluent in Photoshop and Illustrator
- Don’t know why I still know it but I do: BASIC, Frontier
Here are some examples of recent online work:
- The Hot Sardines (Relaunched 5/16: Custom responsive WordPress theme, Shopify and CakePHP integration)
- The Skint (WordPress, CakePHP integration)
- Wish You Were Here (custom CMS)
- Manhattan Users Guide (custom CMS)
- Kogeto (custom CMS, Shopify integration)
- Same Page Digital (custom embedded functionality to permit shared web browsing & chat)
Additional examples and references available upon request.