My primary interest is creative thinking. I like figuring out how things work (or don’t) then developing ways to streamline, consolidate, and improve.
Using code to interact with the physical world is a particularly compelling challenge.
While I have my own familiar set of tools, I’m equally comfortable coding from scratch or learning something new (I’m a quick study), as best serves the situation.
I have over 17 years of real world web development and programming experience. I’ve written my own content management software from scratch, customized open source platforms like WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal, and built sites on PHP MVC frameworks like CakePHP and CodeIgniter.
I also have experience with most current ecommerce platforms and integrations (Stripe, Shopify, WooCommerce, Paypal Pro, Volusion, 3DCart, Zen Cart). I love a good API (Google Maps, Vimeo, MailChimp, Twitter, Spotify, Tumblr, Amazon, YouTube, Instagram). I have experience with cloud-based file storage (AWS S3, Google Cloud Storage). I know LAMP; I’m learning MEAN.
I particularly enjoy the challenge of getting software and hardware to work together in the real world. Examples include tracking components through production via barcode scanners and RFID tags, facilitating the precision installation of equipment on a man-made island using a Google Maps API-integrated custom plotter, or constructing a “Stranger Things” wall that uses a Raspberry Pi to spell out messages tweeted with a specific hashtag.
- Proficient: ReactJS, MongoDB, Node.js, LESS / SASS, Python
- Cloud-based file storage: AWS S3, Google Cloud Storage
- Content management: WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, custom
- eCommerce: Stripe, Shopify, WooCommerce, Paypal Pro, Volusion, 3DCart, Zen Cart
- PHP MVC frameworks: CakePHP, CodeIgniter
- Version control: Git, Subversion
- Design: Photoshop, Illustrator
Here are some examples of recent online work:
- Manhattan Users Guide (Custom CMS, migrated to AWS, integrated Sendy and SES)
- Redpoint Speaks (Custom responsive WordPress theme, custom post types and taxonomy to facilitate data display and sort, custom image handling to associate multiple gallery images with single gallery entry for responsive display, integration of lightbox and slideshow into WP gallery function as display options, existing blog migration)
- The Hot Sardines (Custom responsive WordPress theme, Shopify integration, custom calendar module for managing tour dates)
- The Skint (Custom responsive WordPress theme, MailChimp integration, custom integration with GoldStar API to build and display daily list of half price events)
- Trucks & Parts (Integration with third-party inventory platform, listings SEO)
- The Common Man Inn Claremont / The Common Man Inn Plymouth (Custom responsive WordPress themes, integration with third-party booking platform)
- Wish You Were Here (custom CMS)
- Same Page Digital (custom embedded functionality to permit shared web browsing & chat)
Additional examples and references available upon request.