My primary interest is problem-solving. I like figuring out how things work (or don’t) then developing ways to streamline, consolidate, and improve.
This is usually virtual, but using code to interact with the physical world (and vice versa) presents a compelling challenge.
While I have my own familiar set of tools, I’m equally comfortable coding from scratch or learning something new (I’m a quick study), as best serves the situation.
I coded in BASIC on the TRS-80.
I have over 16 years of web development and programming experience. I’ve written my own content management software from scratch, customized open source platforms like WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal, and built sites on PHP MVC frameworks like CakePHP and CodeIgniter.
I also have experience with most current ecommerce platforms and integrations (Stripe, Shopify, WooCommerce, Paypal Pro, Volusion, 3DCart, Zen Cart). I love a good API (Google Maps, Vimeo, MailChimp, Twitter, Spotify, Tumblr, Amazon, YouTube, Instagram). I have experience with cloud-based file storage (AWS S3, Google Cloud Storage). I know LAMP; I’m learning MEAN.
I particularly enjoy the challenge of getting software and hardware to work together in the real world. Examples include tracking components through production via barcode scanners and RFID tags, facilitating the precision installation of equipment on a man-made island using a Google Maps API-integrated custom plotter, or constructing a “Stranger Things” wall that uses a Raspberry Pi to spell out messages tweeted with a specific hashtag.
I have several iOS apps in development.
- Proficient: AngularJS, MongoDB, Node.js, LESS / SASS, Python, Swift
- Cloud-based file storage: AWS S3, Google Cloud Storage
- Content management: WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, custom
- eCommerce: Stripe, Shopify, WooCommerce, Paypal Pro, Volusion, 3DCart, Zen Cart
- PHP MVC frameworks: CakePHP, CodeIgniter
- Version control: Git, Subversion
- Design: Photoshop, Illustrator
Here are some examples of recent online work:
- The Hot Sardines (Custom responsive WordPress theme, Shopify and CakePHP integration)
- The Skint (WordPress, CakePHP integration)
- Wish You Were Here (custom CMS)
- Manhattan Users Guide (custom CMS)
- Kogeto (custom CMS, Shopify integration)
- Same Page Digital (custom embedded functionality to permit shared web browsing & chat)
Additional examples and references available upon request.